New Year, new Sunday sketch! Happy 2021!
Onwards and upwards – a theme that fits well with this week’s sketch. I created a block of 2 diamonds, which have sharp chevrons – those pointy arrow shapes – at opposite ends. Flipping and rotating the blocks then creates movement between the diamonds and the chevrons, depending on how you colour them.
I had a hard time deciding on which was my favourite, but I like how the angles create hidden mountains in this first design.
This next design was my other favourite – it’s a bit more chaotic (although also following certain rules and order).
The designs can also be rotated so the diamonds lie horizontally rather than vertically. Suddenly the vertical zig-zag created by the border between light and dark shapes is more obvious.
The design can be simplified further by focusing just on the fine arrows. I like this version; it’s more delicate, and it allows other secondary shapes and movement to emerge.
Speaking of chaos, the blocks can also be rotated. Having said that, there’s clear order in this design: the blue arrows occasionally converge in a foursome, as do the larger white kite shapes.
The background of each block can also be coloured, introducing a bit more energy and movement.
And, of course, the design can use more than 2 colours. Here I’ve added green to highlight some of the diamonds. I first coloured all the diamonds on the diagonal…
…and then tried colouring diamonds vertically. I’m not sure which I prefer!
These designs are all based on a regular arrangement of diamonds. You could use a template to cut the diamond shapes (and piece them in diagonal columns), or just make each diamond from two triangles (and piece them in rows). The arrows/chevrons would probably be easiest to do well using foundation paper piecing (for accuracy).
I mentioned recently that I was reworking Sunday sketch #171. Here’s where I ended up.
When I posted the original – more than a year ago, in October 2019 – I didn’t really have an idea of how the design could be made into an actual quilt. That’s pretty unusual; I normally have a fair idea of how I could translate the design into a pattern. So I always wanted to go back and refine the idea so it was (relatively) easy to make.
I ended up thinning those diagonal shapes, and making the area where they overlap into a square rather than an elongated hexagon. That simplifies things immensely. But the main concept hasn’t changed at all, and all the same elements are still there.
There are two sets of squares on point; the ones created by the overlapping ‘arms’, and the ones that float in the centre where four arms meet. In the design above, I’ve coloured the groups in orange and blue, respectively. In the design below, they’re in the same colour (dark blue).
The design works well with a bunch of colours, rather than just a few.
I think it also works when you take away an element, like those floating squares. Here’s the same colourway on a light background, with the reverse, too: the same colours on the dark version, with the dark squares replaced by light grey ones. I like them both.
I also introduced a new element by colouring in the shape around those floating squares. This one’s not my favourite, but I’m including it to show how different the overall design can look with just one minor change. To my eye, this addition really bulks out each coloured shape, and creates the impression of larger square shapes across the design. It grows on me the more I look at it!
This design would still be a bit finicky to make. It would require slightly oddly shaped blocks to be set on point, then pieced together in columns. The blocks themselves are mostly squares, half-square triangles and triangles though.
I’m excited to show you my latest quilt pattern, Among the Stars, which is out now in Love Patchwork & Quilting!
This is a simple and fun pattern featuring rows of rockets pointing up and down. As usual, the staff at Love Patchwork & Quilting have styled the quilt really beautifully (don’t you love the cute little rocket on the desk??).
I only posted the Sunday sketch (#182) for Among the Stars earlier this week, although I created the design (which I imaginatively called ‘Rockets’) earlier this year.
As you can see, I started out with a brighter colour palette and a white background. But I soon realised that it would make more sense to use a blue or dark background for rockets. Not to mention that white backgrounds bring their own set of challenges!
So I revised the EQ8 design with different fabrics, and voila!
In the end, I settled on a mix of fabrics from Ruby Star Society: the Speckled and Pop collections from Rashida Coleman Hale, the Spark collection from Melody Miller, and the Alma range from Alexia Abegg. I love how fabrics from the different collections work so well together!
I also loved how closely the fabrics matched their digital swatches – I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t work so well together in real life, but of course they did. And the colours are so vibrant! Ruby Star Society fabrics are a perfect quilting weight and feel really lovely; it was my first time sewing with them, but it won’t be the last.
Issue 82 of Love Patchwork & Quilting is on sale from Tuesday 24 December. You can find the magazine in newsagents and online.
If you make Among the Stars, I would love to see it. Tag me on Instagram (@geometriquilt) or send me an email!