Earlier this year, I came up with a very quick design in EQ8. Sometimes it takes me ages to settle on a design I like; other times, I hit on something pretty quickly.
I had seen a sort of rocket shape somewhere, so played around with it a bit, altering the width and height of each rocket as well as the layout. I settled on this design – it just felt simple and fun.
I didn’t post it as a Sunday sketch at the time. I liked the design so much that I contacted Love Patchwork & Quilting to see if they would be interested in a pattern based on the design – and they were. Fast-forward ~6 months, and Rockets* will be published this week in issue 82 🙂
The actual quilt that I made looks a bit different from the design shown here. Given that it’s all about rockets, it seemed more logical to use a dark background, and a slightly different colour scheme. (And when it comes to quilts, dark backgrounds pose fewer challenges than white backgrounds, for me at least!**)
Check back later this week for a post about the published quilt pattern. I can’t wait to see how it looks in the magazine!
* Often magazines will change the name of submitted quilts, depending on what they’ve published before and what else is in the pipeline. So I’ve no idea if this is actually what they’ll call the published pattern!
** I find that quilts with white background fabrics require a few extra steps: seams with brightly coloured fabrics sometimes need to be trimmed back, so that the colours don’t show through the white fabric; all the stray threads on the back need to be trimmed before basting and quilting, so they don’t break loose and show up through the white fabric; and I need to skip my usual unbleached batting for a pure white batting that will keep the brightness of the white fabric. Of course, all this is doable, but I’ve found that I avoid white backgrounds if I can!
Another hand-drawn sketch this week, and a super-simple one at that.
You can see from the scale of the background dots and my fill lines just how small this design was on the page of my Rhodia dot pad – only a few centimetres across! I love a good triangle, and I just started placing them on the page, following only one rule: each triangle I added had to touch an adjacent triangle, but only at a tip (no back-to-back edges allowed). I stopped when I was happy with the random arrangement.
Those of you who know how much I like symmetry and order can probably see that despite the ‘improv’ nature of this design, it’s still fairly well balanced in terms of positive vs negative space, and the number of shapes in each quadrant. Even when I’m not trying to be ‘ordered’, it happens 🙂
I like the idea of super-sizing this design to make a bed-sized quilt. Which would mean fairly large triangles, but that would also mean a fairly quick make – and what’s not to like about that?
I’m a sucker for a good star quilt. I’ve even collected a bunch of my favourites in a Pinterest board.
So I made my own star-in-a-star design. Twice the twinkle! 😉
I separated the centre 4 half-square triangles and the triangle-in-a-square blocks to create a kind of halo in the middle of the block. The half-square triangles in the corners end up framing the halo nicely. I couldn’t decide if I liked the more saturated colours in the middle or on the outside, so I just alternated them instead.
The design can look just as cute in two colours…
This design is so simple that I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other similar ones out there. To make this design into a quilt, you’d just need just some half-square triangles, squares, rectangles, and triangle-in-a-square blocks. Super simple!