Tagged: rectangles

Sunday sketch #258

It was driving me nuts trying to think of what this design reminded me of, and I finally realised: Monopoly cards. Remember them? With the coloured bar across the top and the property name? I haven’t seen one in years (decades?!), but the memory of them was obviously lodged way back in my brain.

Anyway, I’m not sure what prompted this design… just another simple one that suddenly seemed like a good idea to try in EQ8, and ended up looking good enough to post.

I love all these happy colours together. It’s my usual ‘random’ layout, which is actually semi-planned and somewhat rule-based: I try to make sure that the same colour doesn’t appear twice in the same column or row. Although it’s more a guide than a rule… I can see a few places here where I broke it!

I started this design originally with black borders, which I also like. But I think I like the coloured background better… it feels a bit more fun. The black-bordered version is definitely more Monopoly-like though!

This design could be made into a quilt using large rectangles of colour and white, along with some sashing strips in a background colour. Easy peasy.

Sunday sketch #252

I have a sneaking suspicion that I’m going through a bit of a dry spell when it comes to designing. I’m trying to stop calling these periods ‘slumps’, because I think it’s natural for creativity to ebb and flow. But also, creativity begets creativity, and I haven’t been sitting down to sketch much. So rather than panic about the lack of new ideas lately, or worrying about where the next idea is going to come from… I’m just trying to do better when it comes to practice. I’m trying to sit down and sketch more often. Even if it doesn’t lead to anything, it’s a good reminder of the importance of creative play.

Anyway, as is often the case when I’m feeling a bit lost design-wise, I started playing with stars this week. And warm colour palettes. Yellows and oranges and pinks always make me happy.

When I create block-based designs, I try to ensure that individual blocks can accommodate multiple colours as well as a single colour. I think this one works!

It also works with a dark background…

…and in a greeny/yellowy palette.

I also like to see if block-based designs work with blocks coloured in an alternating palette or combination of colours. And, again, I think this design gets the OK!

To position the stars as close to each other as possible, without too much interstitial space, I’ve arranged these blocks on point with sashing. That could make them a little more difficult to piece (although I can see a workaround…).

Removing the sashing keeps the same general arrangement, but the blocks are now touching. This version would be much easier/quicker to piece, as the quilt top could be assembled in rows or columns of deconstructed blocks instead of joining whole individual blocks.

Connecting the blocks does give quite a different feel to this quilt design though. This three-colour version feels much busier to me. I find it harder to see each block on its own, without interference from its neighbours. This might just be a result of the colour scheme I’ve used here. It’s a bit easier to discern each block in the multicoloured version.

I like how the ‘connected’ version created secondary shapes between the blocks – stars within stars!

These designs could be made into quilts using basic units like triangle-in-a-square blocks, squares and rectangles.

Sunday sketch #240

I don’t often design quilts with lots of long straight lines, because I know how much it would annoy me to make a quilt that needed that level of precision 🙂 I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so I try not to set myself challenges that I know will play on my worst characteristics!

But having said that, I’ve long wanted to design a quilt pattern that echoes the branching lines of a phylogenetic tree – the diagram that depicts the evolutionary relationships between living things. I saw one recently for genomic variants of the coronavirus.

So I set myself some rules (some of which I broke), and repeated sets of rectangles to create the feeling of going from large groups to small ones, and then even smaller ones.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #240-1

I actually started with a vertical layout, and a different colour scheme.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #240-2

But that layout didn’t give me enough room for different sized blocks, so I spread out sideways. And I kept it symmetrical, for a change!

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #240-4

I played around with a few colour palettes. I also decided I wanted to add even more blocks of different size, so inserted even larger blocks to the left of the design. This broke one of my rules, which was to use each block size in sets of 4. But I decided I didn’t have room for that approach after all.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #240-3

After playing around with a few palettes, I hit on a design I liked. Then I decided I wanted it to be square(ish), so added another row (of large, medium, small, tiny and teeny blocks) at the top.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #240-5

This design would be very easy to make into an actual quilt – it’s all rectangles, and the different sizes are all multiples of each other (e.g. 1 x 2; 2 x 4; 4 x 8; etc.). The hardest part would probably be counting up how many pieces you’d need of each colour, then keeping them organised after you cut them 🙂