I love how this design brings two fairly hefty groupings of strips together at a single point, right in the centre of the design.
The vertical black strips meet in the middle, as do the diagonal orange strips. And then they shoot off in the opposite direction, leaving a bold diagonal line in their wake.
I tried recreating this design in EQ8, but I don’t love how it turned out.
(It might’ve helped if I’d put a border around the whole quilt so you could clearly see where the edges are.)
Somehow the difference between the line weights was more obvious in EQ8… the vertical lines are skinnier than the diagonal ones (because geometry!), but I could live with that in the hand-drawn sketch. In the EQ8 version, the design just ended up looking too sparse. Maybe it was my colour choice? I dunno. I ended up adding 2 more lines, but that didn’t really help.
I would’ve liked to extend the diagonal red lines all the way to the corner of the top and bottom edges, but that would’ve made the quilt very wide, which I felt was unbalanced and left too much negative space. So I kept playing, and came up with a square version…
…which I like, but for different reasons. I think the fact that the pink lines are now fully overlapped (or ‘underlapped’?) with red lines fundamentally changes the design. I liked it when they had a bit of space on their own. Still, I like the boldness of this design and the fact that all four corners are (almost) occupied by a strip. Half of the quilt is still negative space, although I don’t think that necessarily matters.
I played around a bit more with the colours in EQ8, which is so easy to do.
And how about this one, for a very 80s vibe…
But after all that, I think I still prefer the original hand-drawn sketch!
These designs could be translated fairly easily into quilt patterns using the same approaches as suggested for the previous weeks’ designs: long strips, lots of half-square triangles, and/or paper piecing for accuracy.