Sunday sketch #235

This is my last Sunday sketch for 2020… and the fact that I opted for muted colours is maybe a reflection of the type of year it’s been…!

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #235-1

I started by sketching some overlapping stripes, then moved from my dot pad to EQ8 to take it further. Whenever you get overlapping shapes, there’s an opportunity to introduce transparency by playing with colour. But sometimes I think I take it too far… it can get a bit overworked and come off as forced. So I’m constantly trying to balance design aesthetics with the ‘too far’ factor. Not sure which side of that fence I landed on today, but I wasn’t in the mood to explore further, so here we are.

I did try some different colours, some of which are in my usual palette. Here, I opted to avoid the transparency effect by using black to mark the overlap between the red and khaki rectangles.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #235-2

And here’s the black doing the same job for a red and pink version.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #235-3

Translating these designs into a quilt pattern would be easy-peasy… it’s all just stripes (long rectangles). The hardest part would be making sure all the edges lined up properly. I’d probably tackle that by piecing the design in 5 columns, then adding the large border pieces.

Update (30 December 2020): A friend pointed out that this design is similar to the Fruity Stripe fabrics from Melody Miller’s Clementine range for Ruby Star Society (manufactured by Moda Fabrics). There are definite similarities! The fabric’s stripes are angled, whereas mine are arranged horizontally. And both the width and the length of the overlap varies in the fabric, whereas they are consistent in my design. But both designs use the overlap as an opportunity to play with transparency. Not surprisingly, Melody’s colour choices are infinitely better than mine 🙂

Sunday sketch #234

I mentioned recently that I was reworking Sunday sketch #171. Here’s where I ended up.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-1

When I posted the original – more than a year ago, in October 2019 – I didn’t really have an idea of how the design could be made into an actual quilt. That’s pretty unusual; I normally have a fair idea of how I could translate the design into a pattern. So I always wanted to go back and refine the idea so it was (relatively) easy to make.

I ended up thinning those diagonal shapes, and making the area where they overlap into a square rather than an elongated hexagon. That simplifies things immensely. But the main concept hasn’t changed at all, and all the same elements are still there.

There are two sets of squares on point; the ones created by the overlapping ‘arms’, and the ones that float in the centre where four arms meet. In the design above, I’ve coloured the groups in orange and blue, respectively. In the design below, they’re in the same colour (dark blue).

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-2

The design works well with a bunch of colours, rather than just a few.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-3

I think it also works when you take away an element, like those floating squares. Here’s the same colourway on a light background, with the reverse, too: the same colours on the dark version, with the dark squares replaced by light grey ones. I like them both.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-4Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-5

I also introduced a new element by colouring in the shape around those floating squares. This one’s not my favourite, but I’m including it to show how different the overall design can look with just one minor change. To my eye, this addition really bulks out each coloured shape, and creates the impression of larger square shapes across the design. It grows on me the more I look at it!

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #234-6

This design would still be a bit finicky to make. It would require slightly oddly shaped blocks to be set on point, then pieced together in columns. The blocks themselves are mostly squares, half-square triangles and triangles though.

Sunday sketch #233

This week’s design is related to Sunday sketch #171, which I posted back in October 2019. (I’ve been reworking that one recently, hence this one.) I set this sketch aside after making it, and now that I look at it again, I just see a fleet of TIE fighters 🙂

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #233-1

It’s hard to avoid using transparency effects in a design like this. Those big right-handed triangles just look like they want to be overlapped.

Geometriquilt: Sunday sketch #233-2

This design is mostly squares and half-square triangles. It could get a bit tricky with those teeny squares floating on point; I think the easiest thing would be to insert them into sashing between rows.