I’ll get back to hand-drawing soon, but in the meantime…
This design is similar to Sunday sketch #100, which also combined horizontal, vertical and diagonal strips. In that design, the horizontal and vertical strips in each block touched the adjacent blocks, and the overlap between the strips created sawtooth stars.
In this design, the horizontal and vertical strips create crosses, the diagonal strips create Xs, and the blocks are separated by thin spaces. I also tweaked the sizing so that the strips making up the crosses and Xs are a more similar width.
I really like the potential for colour play with this design! I’m drawn to designs that use a limited palette, because I struggle so much to use colour well. So 2 or 3 colours suits me perfectly. Especially in such a simple yet striking design!
In the first version, the Xs overlay the crosses:
In the second version, the crosses overlay the Xs.
These designs could be made into quilt patterns quite easily using strips (rectangles) and triangles. I love the idea of making a reversible quilt with the two different versions on the front and back (but I’m not so in love with the idea of lining them up perfectly for quilting…!).
I’m always on the lookout for interesting secondary shapes – those shapes that unexpectedly emerge from the whitespace or background of a design. In one of my recent EQ8 sessions (which are becoming longer and more frequent, but unfortunately no less frustrating!), I played around with some lolly/bowtie shapes, and discovered some crosses in the background. With a bit of ingenious spacing and a handy border, I created even more crosses.
Those red and white crosses are all the same size, but the colouring gives them different emphasis. They’re both brought to the foreground though, with the original lolly/bowties disappearing into the background (for me, at least).
Did you notice that I didn’t include the thin black lines in this design? They’re included by default in the blocks, but you can remove them in EQ8 before exporting the design as a PDF. Sometimes I like to keep them, but this time I thought the design looked just as good without them.
I’ve been trying to limit my use of EQ8 to design features that I can’t manage easily with hand-sketching: namely, curves and colour. This week’s design combines these features to create one of my favourite things: flowers!
I love these retro flowers. I tried a lot of different colour combinations, but the yellow just popped. This warm yellow makes me so happy.
This design could be made into a quilt using the drunkard’s path template. Each block (comprising most of a single flower) is 12 drunkard’s path units and 4 solid squares (although you could make 4 drunkard’s path units in a single colour, just to get that lovely curved seam).